Monday, August 29, 2011

The Delivery Story

Feel free to skip this post, if you're not interested in all the details. But I do promise there won't be gory details! :)

I've got to start the night before Daisy was born. Thursday was my first day with kids, so I was exhausted by the time I got home. I put my feet up and realized I was having contractions pretty regularly. They weren't painful but they were 5 minutes apart. We decided to go into town for dinner, then we'd at least be close. The contractions continued for 3 hours! We decided to go to the hospital and let them check just in case. I was there long enough for them to check and say I was still nowhere close. The nurse was polite but she basically said my doctor had said I was more dilated than I really was from my last appointment. So we went home, me in tears so ready to be done with this pregnancy! It was 11 by the time we got home.

I got up at 5:30 to get to my second day with the kiddos. The day went fine with just a couple contractions here and there. Until 1:15! I was talking about math routines when I felt a small gush. I got up and gave them a worksheet just in time for another gush! I stepped out into the hall(looking like I peed myself) to get another teacher. My principal came down with our nurse ( who just happened to have worked in the birthing center before) they checked on me while another teacher got her car. I still wasn't in any pain. I called FB to meet me at the ER, and we both got there at the same time.

We got checked in and they checked to see if it really was my water, and it was. We got a nurse who my mom loves, and had emailed to keep her eye out for us. She sent us out to walk the halls. There were already 4 babies in the nursery at that time. My mom had been at work so she was already at the hospital. My dad left work and came straight over.

Not much had happened by 4ish. I was having regular contractions, but not much pain. My doc decided I needed a little pitocin to move things along. That worked really well! I was in pain very shortly after that! Our birthplan was to try to stick with IV meds. I didn't want an epidural and to be stuck in the bed for hours. The IV made me loopy,but didn't really help with actual contraction pain. I labored like that for an hour or so. I got freaked out that it was going to hurt this bad for hours and hours, so I asked for an epidural. They knew it was too late for epidural, so I got a spinal block. I felt better immediately! I'm so glad I didn't try to tough it out or stick with a birth plan just because that's what I thought at the time.

Daisy arrived at 7:08 after less than an hour of pushing. It is really hard and weird trying to push when you can't feel what you're doing. My doc stitched me up while FB watched Daisy get cleaned up and measured. This was our first picture together.

I have to say 6 hours from start to finish wasn't bad at all! I'm not sure how long it would've taken without medicine, but I'm not too concerned about that now! Hopefully I didn't scar my poor class by disappearing with wet pants. :)

Wow that's a long post! Next up bilirubin scare and my lazy sucker. Have a great Monday!


Melissa said...

I can't believe your water broke at school!

6 hours is a pretty short labor. I'm so jealous you pushed less than an hour! It took me 2 hours to get my boy out!

Congrats again! :)

Jaquelyn @ Southern Dolls and Texas Drawl said...

Congrats momma! I'm just now catching up in the blogging world, and I love that another blogger had a little bean! <3