Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"Workin Cows"

Over the weekend I helped Farm Boy, his older brother, and his sister in law work cows.  I've never seen them work cows, or anyone work cows for that matter.  Farm Boy told me that he'd never let me work cows, because it can be hazardous.  Also, apparently they get a little upset with each other and don't speak too kindly while wrangling the lil buggers.  Me, being the city girl that I am, had no idea what to expect.  I knew there'd be shots n togs, but didn't know how they did either.  There were 3 different things that Farm Boy's brother stuck in the neck-ish area of each calf.  He also sprayed each calf's back with wormer or lice protection or something.  Since I was not allowed to help I was in charge of writing tags.  The little plastic things that are really just giant earrings to number each cow.  How exciting!  After I finished that, they deemed refilling the syringe safe enough for the city slicker.  I did realized why they seem to think I should never be allowed in the ring with them.  At one point FB's brother let a calf out of the chute, and instead of being a smart lil thing he crazily shoved his way backward.  Forcing several cows back with it, only problem was FB standing in the way.  Needless to say, FB has a bruise the size of a dinner plate.  All this done in the snow, wearing FB's sister's coveralls.  At the end of it all FB's brother said I was a keeper even if FB and I break up.  Followed by offers to buy me pink coveralls for future farm endeavors.  So bloggy friends.... Do I go for the pink coveralls or the regular tan ones??  I don't want to stand out too much, but I do love pink!

2 comments:

Adventures in Newlywed said...

Just so you know, I was thoroughly grossed out by your description of how they pierce the cow ears. And get the pink coveralls, duh.

Holly said...

Isn't that so much fun... I love watching my family work cattle. Thrash and I are actually in the process of purchasing some of our own.